Kilimanjaro Climb 9 Days Northern Circuit
The Northern Circuit route is one of the best routes on Kilimanjaro, offering nearly 360 degrees of beautiful scenery including the quiet, rarely visited northern slopes.
The Northern Circuit route is the newest route up Mount Kilimanjaro and arguably the best. That’s because the a combination of all of the best elements of the other routes, rolled into one fantastic hike. If you’re looking for beautiful scenery, plenty of solitude, a healthy challenge, and the potential to spot wildlife, this is definitely the route for you.
The Northern Circuit route follows the same route as Lemosho route for the first few days, but rather than sticking to the south side of Kibo, it turns to the little-used northern trails instead.
- Duration: 8 to 10 days
- Difficulty: Medium
- Scenery: Excellent
- Traffic: Low
Upon arrival to Kilimanjaro International Airport, you will be met and transferred for overnight accommodation at Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel 4 stars B&B. Your head guide will meet you for your briefing, gear check and arrange for you to hire any equipment you may need.
- Park fees, camping fees, Hut fees & rescue fees
- Twice a day medical health checkup, monitoring with pulse-oximeter and stethoscope with basic first kit
- Oxygen Cylinder
- Orientation meeting in Moshi and gear check as well.
- 18% Value Added Tax on tour fees & services
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mat, camp chairs, camp tables, mess tent & cutlery for meals) and 3 Season mountain tents
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Medically qualified mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 Meals while on the mountain + evening tea with popcorn or peanuts.
- Hot water for washing up daily and treated water for drink while climbing.
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation in Moshi. Bed & Breakfast Basis with storage facilities for excess luggage during hikes.
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- 3-4 porters per climber, which includes porters to carry up to 30 lbs of your personal gear.
- Kilimanjaro certificate for your successful summit attempt.
- Flights ( International)
- Alcoholic and soft drinks
- Tips for Guides, Porters & Chef
- Personal expenses in nature such as money for souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees etc.
- Visa fees ( 100 USD for American and 50 USD for non-American)
- Immunization documents ( yellow fever recommended for visa processing on arrivals)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and /or park fees
DepartureKilimanjaro Int. Airport
Day 1: Arusha to Londorossi Gate to Mti Mkubwa /Forest Camp
7,742 ft to 9,498 ft, 4 miles, approx. 3-4 hours
After breakfast in your hotel you will be given an overall briefing from your guide. At 9am you will be met by our staff, who will drive you several hours to the Western side of Mt. Kilimanjaro and to the Londrossi Gate, where our guides and porters will prepare and pack the equipment and supplies Once at the gate you will be given a packed lunch and after registration with the Kilimanjaro Park office, we will drive for another 45mins to Lemosho Glades where your trek will begin with ascending into the rainforest.
You will ascend for approx. 3 hours in dense rain forest which could be very wet and muddy so be ready with your gaiters and trekking poles. During the trek we will have a break and you can enjoy the rest your packed lunch. We will reach the Mti Mkubwa Camp also known as ‘Big Tree’ Camp in late afternoon. After arrival, you will be taken to your camp and tent which has already been set up by the porters who ran ahead, where you will be greeted with boiled drinking water and hot washing water. Once you have freshened up and settled in, a hot dinner will be served in the mess-tent..
Day 2: Forest Camp to Shira 1 Camp
9,498 ft to 11,500 ft, 5 miles, approx. 5-6 hours
From the forested slopes of Lemosho you ascend through a podocarpus and juniper forest and then break out on to a zone of heather and lichen-draped volcanic rock and the Shira Plateau, which used to be Kilimanjaro’s third peak before it collapsed. Lunch is taken on the trail and you arrive in camp mid-afternoon. The view of Kibo (the peak of Kilimanjaro) is breathtaking from this vantage point. Overnight at Shira 1 Camp.
Day 3: Shira 1 to Shira 2
11,500 ft to 12,500 ft, 4 miles, 3-4 hours
After breakfast you will continue on your hike across and up the Shira plateau to Shira Camp 2 at 3,850 meters. Here you will join trekkers from the Machame Route whilst enjoying stunning view across the valley below and Western Breach of Kilimanjaro above. The plateau is exposed so be prepared for a cold night with temperatures getting below zero.
Day 4: Shira 2 to Moir Hut Camp
Day 5: Moir Camp to Buffalo Camp/Pofu Camp
13,580 ft to 13,200 ft, 7 miles, 5-7 hours
We climb out of the Moir Valley and take a short detour to reach the summit of Lent Hills (15,400ft). After admiring the views we return to the trail and head eastwards around the northern circuit trail. The final section of today’s walk undulates until reaching the location of Pofu Camp.
Day 6: Buffalo Camp / Pofu to Third Cave
13,200 ft to 12,700 ft, 5 miles, 5-7 hours
From Pofu Camp we cross numerous small valleys as the trail continues eastwards through a landscape that has increasingly sparse vegetation to eventually reach Third Cave Camp.
Day 7: Third Cave to School Hut Camp
12,700 ft to 15,600 ft, 3 miles, 4-5 hours
There is a steady ascent to reach the saddle, a lunar landscape between the peaks of Kibo and Mawenzi. From here we continue upwards and reach School Hut in the early afternoon. The remainder of the afternoon is spent resting and preparing for the summit day.
Day 8: School Hut to Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp
Day 9: Mweka Camp – Mweka Gate
10,065 ft to 5,380 ft, 6 miles, 3-4 hours
Once again you will be woken for your final celebratory breakfast where our team will thank and congratulate you in their unique, special way! We will then set off for the final 3 hour scenic descent to Mweka Gate. After lunch you will dropped off at the hotel where you can relax under a long, well deserved hot shower.